Sunday, June 8, 2008

All post counts start at 0.

And then become "1" once the first one is up :) Might as well get started, eh?

This blog is a "companion" blog of sorts to my normal personal blog, and will be dedicated SOLELY to gaming. I created the Moriarty personality some years ago, and the name origin stems from a character I'm a fan of from my days of reading Doyle's works about Sherlock Holmes. He was evil and calculating - and while I'm not all that evil in real life the thought of being some sort of mastermind villian appealed to me, particularly when it comes to gaming. After all, most games on the market are designed to be "won" or otherwise dealt with in a selfish manner, and I do like to think of myself as intelligent. Plus "Moriarty" just has a nice ring to it.

Unfortunately, there are a LOT of Moriarty's out there. As such, it became necessary to somehow "uniquify" this name so that I stood a high likelihood of being able to use it as a forum name, online character name, email address, now a blog name, etc. I chose to use the "leet" style of formatting, popularized I think sometime in the 90's by hackers and the like and involves number or symbol substitution for similar shaped letters. While I expect this to become rather trite in the near future (if it hasn't already), it still appeals to me from that whole cyberpunk perspective and sort of fits the persona of my gamer side.

So there's the origins posts, for what it's worth. This will also serve as a test of BlogSpot to see if this might become my new blogging home in general. Having a separate topical blog will also (hopefully) allow friends and others to have a bit of a filter - I have lots of interests but gaming in general is the sort of thing I spend a lot of time doing and thinking about, and can dwarf in my texts all other considerations depending on what else is going on. This way I can keep my musings and experiences of this major hobby of mine separate from all the randomness of my other blog, and will also support the on-going creation of my "internet gaming" persona of Moriarty.

Finally, I enabled the "mature content warning" because I tend to use words and concepts that might be offensive to some, and I have no real interest in making this blog "nice and flowery". I may say "fuck", sometimes. I might even say "fuck that shit", or, if I am particularly grumpy, something like "this game is a complete stoogefucking assrape ball of pigeon shit served with a curried cock surprise basted in the pussy juice from a dead marmot and toe fungus compote".

I mean you just never know.

No comments: