Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Model updates

Somewhat small one, as I’m at work and terribly, terribly behind :)

First off Thank You to Tengu - I’d done some musing around Brusthralls before but hadn’t actually located the Orboros box link as yet. I have to say, I will be well outside of that level of quality for some time :)

Assembly finished well - I think I did a reasonably acceptable job at it, even without pinning anything. We’ll see how they hold up under use :)

I’m doing a bit of experimenting between black and white primers - both Argus, the Warpwolf, and Kaya are in black, while my recent acquisitions (Shifting Stones and a Woldwyrd) are in white. I ran into a spot of difficulty with the black - either I just “did it wrong” or it was too hot that day (highly likely, being Texas and July and all) - the primer was really, really flaky. After 24 hours it was possible to gently rub on the mini and come away with a fingerfull of black. While perhaps more drunk than I should have, I took a toothbrush to them, yielding a set of four models that are very heavily black in some areas and somewhat lightly black (but not quite bare metal) in others. I hesitate to reprime them for fear of overdoing it, and at this point the entire process has become one large experiment :) given that these are the first mini’s I’ve painted in several years, I’m not too fussed, and if they turn out horrible I can always strip them down later when I’m better and redo them.

Meanwhile the white ones came out just fine some days later (and primed in the very early part of the day when it was cooler). Along the way I re-located two other miniatures that I am painting as a “warm up” - primed one white, the other black. So far I’ve put a basecoat on the white one, and attempted a wash of heavily watered down black paint - sadly, so watered down that while it looked great wet, as it dried there was insignificant pigment and/or only enough to just get wicked right back out of the holes and crevices that I now have a model with, ironically, highlighted pits instead of darkened holes, as it were.

So I hit up the local yesterday and snagged a true black wash to try out - never done much in the way of inking before so it will be a worthy new thing, at least. We’ll see how it goes. While out I snagged several new brushes and a real palette (to replace the textured cutting board I’d been using) for mixing, so I’m hopeful I’ll get in some quality time this weekend with the paints. My first bit of painting the other night was quite fun - altho I’m looking forward to getting our planned work desks in. Hunching over the kitchen table in low light conditions having to take off my glasses to see fine detail is not something I can do for more than a couple hours at a time :)

No comments: